Merlin's Academy for Excellence
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to inactivity, Merlin's Academy is no longer a Harry Potter RP site. It is being used for CASUAL, CLEAN RP of ANY TOPIC among friends. If you wish to join, however, please feel free; we would love to make new friends. Thanks to everyone who made MAE what it was before, and we wish you all lots of love and a great life up ahead. <3

~Lor, Mads, Lyd, and Mel~
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to inactivity, Merlin's Academy is no longer a Harry Potter RP site. It is being used for CASUAL, CLEAN RP of ANY TOPIC among friends. If you wish to join, however, please feel free; we would love to make new friends. Thanks to everyone who made MAE what it was before, and we wish you all lots of love and a great life up ahead. <3

~Lor, Mads, Lyd, and Mel~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Site Time

~Month: September~

Year: 2017

~Season: Autumn~

Important Info
LINKS

• MAE Rules
  • Hex Colour Codes
  • Character Applications
  • Claims Center
  • Jobs

• CHARACTERS NEEDED

None at the moment

Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
    AuthorMessage

Rhian Kael

Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) Empty
    PostSubject: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 8:13 pm

"Clean up, love, and then you can get out of here." Kevin, the bartender that night, told Rhian with a smile. He was a pretty decent guy, as far as she could tell. It'd only been a few weeks since she'd taken the job, wanting to be up and running as well as she could be before lessons began.

The girl grabbed a relatively clean rag and went off to clean off some tables. "Thanks Kev, I'm beat." Her feet were a bit sore from breaking in her new tennis shoes. At least the uniform was casual, allowing for her to wear jean shorts and a black t-shirt. The owner figured that, while it was a wizarding bar, the muggle wear would attract the customers.

It was nearly 10 and she was the last waitress left on. The night had been slow, so Manny the cook had dipped out half an hour ago. It'd been all fine, since no one had been in since then. She'd stayed busy, doing most of her cleaning before she normally would, so she could head out early.

With the tables clean, she grabbed as many shakers as she could and headed to a table in the corner to fill them. A few minutes into the task, she heard the bell signaling a customer. The bar was open for a few more hours now, and there were a few guys scattered here and there, chatting with Kevin. She didn't pay any attention, her back towards the door as she worked.

"Sure, kid. Go ahead and grab a table," she heard Kevin call. Gritting her teeth, she knew what was coming. Sure enough, she felt the bulky man walk up next to her. "Hey, Rhi. You mind taking care of this guy? He doesn't look like a sitter, and you can handle him just as well while finishing clean up."

If it was anyone else in this business, she may have contemplated saying no. But the bartender was one of the good guys, so she agreed. Twisting the cap on a salt container, she thought about putting her hair back up into a ponytail. On second thought, she gave up on that. Whoever it was was getting her time, the least he could do was excuse her attention to uniform.

Looking around, she saw a lone figure at one of the window booths. It was far away from the bar, and she figured that was why Kevin was asking for her help. She moved over there easy enough and started talking before she reached the table. "Hey there. My name's Rhian. What can I get you?"
    Back to top Go down

Conner Bailey
    Dragon Trainers In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 8:31 pm

Conner could not believe his prat of a roommate was doing this to him. Ben knew that he was tired after work; after all he was already trying to save up some money so he wouldn't have to ask his mother for anything. Because as soon as he asked for something, she would rant off about how that's all he contacted her for and blah blah blah. He shook his head at the thought. Ben was just angry that the potion wasn't working the way he wanted and he always said Conner tended to make the room stupider with him just being around it. He took no insult, that was basically their friendship.

So with a jacket, he had been kicked out of his flat, thankfully his wallet was still in his pocket and walked out. He almost knocked on the old lady's door but figured if the lights were out she was too tired to listen to her stories and instead went to bed. So he was off exploring the city by himself like the loner he was. He'd walked a few blocks till he got hungry. His eyes turned to see the Black Cauldron Pub, which caught his attention enough to walk in. He was moved to a table quickly, and sat down, interesting in getting anything that was greasy or cheesy. His stomach growled at the decision.

"Hey there. My name's Rhian. What can I get you?"

'Woah' that was his first thought when the waitress came his way.

He figured blokes worked more in the bar than girls, but he was not going to complain if she was going to be the one serving him. Smiling as best he could he realized he hadn't looked into the menu at all, instead his head was mostly thinking about how Rhian was a nice name. Clearing his throat he figured he could order anything.

"Can I get the 6, with a butter beer please" he said hoping she'd look his way.
    Back to top Go down

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 10:44 pm

Finally reaching the table, she looked down at the guy in the booth. He was...well...damn. He had a bit of a rough look about him, at first look. It was the bulkiness of, what she assumed was, quite a bit of muscle mass under the jacket, and the cut of his jaw. But as he smiled, his eyes lit up in an unexpected way. Something about it made Rhian return the gesture automatically, but sincerely.

He seemed a bit flustered at first, but found his words quickly. At his order, she couldn't help but laugh. "I'm sorry, but we don't have numbers here." Rhian had worked in quite a few different pubs over the summers through school, for extra cash and to save up for university. She wondered if this boy, for all his looks, had ever been to a place like this, because of his order.

Plus there was the fact that the cook was long gone by now. They'd been lucky that he wasn't needed before now, but she felt kind of bad telling the guy no. It wasn't that a good smile could sway her, but he was here alone. And something about that made her feel more helpful.

Leaning against the opposite edge of the booth, her shoulder resting on the top of the backrest, her lips pursed in thought. "Our cooks gone now, but...I could maybe whip something up, if you know what you're actually hungry for." Her smirk showed that she knew he hadn't checked the menu yet.
    Back to top Go down

Conner Bailey

PostSubject: Re: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 11:10 pm

At the realization that in fact there were no numbers on the menu, he could feel his whole face flush and he looked down at the menu, raising it up a bit to hide his face. 'You are so stupid, honestly. A pretty face never hurt anyone and it's messing with your head man' Quickly scanning the menu he figured he wanted something fried to soothe his feelings of embarrassment. Clearing his throat, he figured he could just salvage himself.

She seemed to take it all in stride though. As she leaned over, he forced himself not to look down her top, he wasn't a savage. Instead he stared at her right in the eyes, and ignored the light sweat forming on his hands.

"Can I just get anything that's available? I can't be too picky it seems with the times, and especially if you're going to have to do something" he said softly avoiding her gaze once more before he could lose his senses.
    Back to top Go down

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Rhian watched the color raise in the man's face. He was a man, that much was apparent by the way he held himself, but he couldn't have been much older than her. Maybe by a few years. It was hard to tell though, since she'd just graduated and hadn't yet got a feel for the university life. Thinking on it now, she wondered if he attended the Academy just up the road. Likely, she thought.

As he finally took a look at the menu, his gaze returned to her and something in it was different. His eyes were intent in a way they hadn't been before, and she was curious. Most customers who came through their door barely gave two thoughts to the staff. Sure, some flirted here and there. Others...well, they had big guys working on busy nights for a reason. But overall, they were more focused on their own lives than on her. She liked it that way. This late at night though, there was a bit more intimacy to the entire place, with so few people.

At his response, she bit her lip trying to hide her excitement. Kevin hated cooking. He'd rather make no money at all than to have to fry up something to earn a few bucks. But sometimes, if Rhian was really good, he'd let her have a go at their kitchen. Unbeknownst to the other crew members, of course. And with they guy asking for anything...well, she may as well get something out of it too. "It's no big, honestly. I'll grab you're drink and then get on it."

It took her no time at all to return with the butterbeer, a small smile in acknowledgement as she set it in front of him. Taking off her apron and storing it behind the bar she pulled Kevin to the side and put on her biggest puppy dog eyes. "Hey, you know how sometimes you're super nice, and love me so much, that you'll let me on the grill?" she asked with a coy grin.

Kevin knew that look too well, and responded with a hearty laugh. "Merlin, girl. I knew he was a young lad, but I didn't think he was that good looking."

"What," her features were feigned shock, but she couldn't help the redness that burned at her ears. "It's nothing like that. I'm just hungry, is all, and figured I'd make a bit of money while I'm back there. If you shut it, I can whip you up something too, you idiot." Her fist came up and she slugged him roughly in the arm. It didn't do much, with his bulk, but she patted the spot with affection as she moved through the door to the kitchen.

Burgers, that would hit the spot. The grill was easy enough to clean off afterward, and she had a craving for something not so healthy. The fryer would be even easier to deal with. Maybe they were more of a muggle kind of thing, but she figured it'd be fine. As she set to work, pulling the things she needed out and cutting up some vegetables for toppings, she sang softly as she worked. It wasn't anything fancy, just some old thing her dad used to listen to.

After about fifteen minutes, she'd plated up three dishes. Turning everything off, and deciding to do the cleanup later, she carried them all out. Thankfully the only guys at the bar now were regulars, and knew they weren't getting fed. She dropped off one for Kevin with a little whistle, as he was leaned over the bar talking to Sam. The old man waved at her and she called a quick welcome to him as she walked out to the table.

Setting the plate down in front of the guy, she felt a swift punch of trepidation in her stomach, wondering if he'd like it. Tess was funny in the things she did and didn't like from Rhian's world. Sure, Rhian was a halfblood in reality, but her upbringing was practically all muggle. She couldn't tell heads or tails about the boy, so she'd took a chance.

"It's got a bunch of different things on there, didn't know what you'd like. Sauces on the side, in case you want them," she figured that would be safer. Turning to find a quiet place to eat herself, she frowned at the idea of dirtying another table. An idea hit her. "Would you mind terribly if I...well, if I ate with you. It's fine if not, I just really didn't want to clean another table and," she looked up as a small group of people walked in and sat at the bar, "it's getting a bit crowded up there."
    Back to top Go down

Conner Bailey

PostSubject: Re: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 7:57 pm

"It's no big, honestly. I'll grab you're drink and then get on it."

Conner let out a genuine smile as the girl not only brought him his drink, but offered to make him food. He knew it was late, and the fact that she was going out of her way to help him, he knew that he would tip her greatly. The only silver lining in this whole situation is that he'd been a bastard himself and took Ben's wallet for his own pleasure. He smirked a the thought and began to drink some of his butter beer.

He figured that while he was waiting he could take a look at the area. It wasn't the most luxurious place in the world, but the people weren't weird or aggressive, that much was clear from the fact that no one was really bothering anyone. Plus, if there was a pretty girl working here, he figured that it was safe enough of a place.

He was was super surprised at the fact that she was coming over with food, good food. Food that hit his sense before he even got to see it. His mouth watered and as she placed the food on the table and his eyes widened at the fact it was much better than the food he was expecting for a place like this.

"Would you mind terribly if I...well, if I ate with you. It's fine if not, I just really didn't want to clean another table and," she looked up as a small group of people walked in and sat at the bar, "it's getting a bit crowded up there."

At the thought of her sitting with him, he knew that there was a higher being out there looking out for him. Because now he was going to have dinner with a really pretty girl who he'd already kind of failed at flirting with. Live was great.

"No...I mean No I don't mind, please take a seat. I still can't believe you made something so delicious." he said his stomach grumbling, "definitely better than anything I had in mind.
    Back to top Go down

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 8:23 pm

Relief and some other emotion she didn't quite understand washed through Rhian at his answer. Not that cleaning another table would have been all that hard. It was just, with the added work of cleaning up in the kitchen, she was going to be here longer than she had planned.

Not like you've got much of a life anyway, she thought to herself. Really, she didn't. Besides Tess, Rhian didn't talk to anyone outside of these four walls. It was probably why she didn't mind picking up extra shifts whenever they came up, or staying later than the others. She figured she may as well stay and make a little extra then sit back at the dorms and do nothing. Classes hadn't started yet, and there weren't many students who had taken advantage of the summer lodging option. There was only so much mischief she could get into on campus, and not much more in the little village here.

Taking a seat opposite the guy, she started in on her fries, reveling in the perfect balance of salt and flavor. Too much and she felt like she needed to down a liter of water. Too little, and they were worthless. Dipping them in the ketchup she'd put on her own plate, she smiled over at the stranger.

"So, what brought you in here so late? Clearly you're not a regular." She was sure she'd have remembered eyes as green as his.
    Back to top Go down

Conner Bailey

PostSubject: Re: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 8:34 pm

Taking a bright smile, he lifted the burger and put everything he could inside, all the condiments mixing together and took a large bite. Groaning softly, he tried to be as much of a gentleman as he could and wiped his face as much as he could before she thought of him a pig. In his whole enjoyment and fear of her judging him for his eating habits, he wasn't expecting her to actually start a conversation.

"So, what brought you in here so late? Clearly you're not a regular."

Swallowing as quickly as he could, he wiped his hands and his face before trying to look half decent. Clearing his throat he figured he could be honest, without necessarily spilling his whole backstory.

"My roommate kicked me out. If it was because he was having a girl over, or he was having an even in general I wouldn't mind it. But he kicked me out because he wanted to concentrate on some potion that he was working on. He's so weird" he said shaking his head, "and yet he's my best mate. I wouldn't have come here had it not been for him, so I figure I owe him" he said smiling. "You? What made you start working here?"
    Back to top Go down

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 5:44 pm

Watching the boy - she really needed to learn his name - she couldn't help but laugh softly as he proceeded to pile everything on his burger. Something within her relaxed slightly, feeling a bit more at ease with someone who knew how to appreciate food. It was a quality that too few people possessed. And with her own personal background...well, she was a bit more appreciative than most.

At word of a roommate, she wondered if he was staying on or off campus. Not that it really mattered to her, why would it, but she was curious. Especially since he seemed nice enough. She assumed he must be either from a school other than Hogwarts, or not a first year, since he didn't look familiar.

His comment about coming here caught Rhian off guard. She was used to the odd customer here or there hitting on her, it kind of came with the territory. But there was something...genuine about his smile. As if he was just saying it to be honest, and not looking for something in return. It was new, and Rhian didn't quite know how to take it. Still, she couldn't hide the tiny blush that set into her cheeks.

Taking a bit out of her burger and chewing, she thought on her answer. She wasn't very well going to say she was poor and needed the job to survive. It was a surefire way to scare anyone away. Sure, her school and lodgings were paid for on scholarship, but she'd need money once she graduated.

"It's a part-time gig. Keeps me busy." That was true enough. With most people, that's all she would say about the topic. Looking him over, though, she figured there wasn't much harm in talking a bit more. She did start the conversation, after all. "I've actually worked in pubs for years now. The owner here was nice enough to let me start early, before the school year, to get the experience."
    Back to top Go down

Conner Bailey

PostSubject: Re: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Conner wasn't the smoothest person that ever lived; he honestly had no idea how he'd gotten his last girlfriend if he was quite honest. She had once told him multiple times you're lucky that you're pretty in a joking matter that always made him have a confused look on his face. She was always pretty, and there was little connection there but they worked he supposed; for multiple reasons too. No wonder it ended up in failure. Those weren't the happiest memories at the moment, especially when there was a delicious burger in front of him.

Taking a bite, he wondered if he had said the right thing. The girl before him was really pretty, Rhian as she had said. And maybe showing that he was a pushover wasn't the most appealing thing. But he figured, he'd count this as a date, ignoring the fact she was being paid for the time spent with him. 'You're pretty pathetic' his mind told him. But he thought screw it especially because there was a pretty lady sitting across from him who'd made him a meal and chatted with him. Definitely better than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a grumpy roommate.

"It's a part-time gig. Keeps me busy."

He nodded understanding it...sort of. He had worked not because he needed to, his mother did allow him to be well off, but he wanted his own money. Recently he had been forced to quit, once his mother found out he was a mail boy at a muggle lawyer's office. Now he was looking for a new place to work, something that would help his pocket; since his mother cut him off out of anger. He knew it wouldn't last long, but better safe than sorry.

"I've actually worked in pubs for years now. The owner here was nice enough to let me start early, before the school year, to get the experience."

"Aren't you a bit young to be working at pubs?" he asked curiously. Maybe she was older than she looked? "Is this a good place to work? Been looking around for it. Did I say my name was Conner? Well my name is Conner!"
    Back to top Go down

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 9:56 pm

The boy's question wasn't a surprise. With her small stature, and generally open face, Rhian was often mistaken for being younger than she was. Not that she was old, by any means. But being a Prefect last year had been hard, since many of the younger students were taller than her. She'd been able to keep them in their place, for the most part, with a stern look and a no-nonsense attitude. Looking across at the boy in front of her, she wondered if the same would have worked on him. He was sitting, but she could tell he was rather tall.

"I'm eighteen, actually. And so long as you know people, you can get hired at almost any age," she smirked. Her adoptive parents had lived down the road form a nice little place. It had been rather small, with a good, wholesome clientele. The woman who ran the place had allowed her to work a few hours at a time, knowing how important it was to learn a trade as soon as possible. They didn't live in a great area, money wise, so people generally took care of each other.

Looking around the bar, as she finished the last few fries, she took in the restaurant as a whole. Sure, like any place you could work, there was always drama. Many of the servers here were women, which always bred problems, but Rhian stayed out of it as much as possible. Even with that, most of the workers here were good people. They helped each other out, and seemed to care, for the most part.

"It's a good place," she said as she turned back to him. Pretending to give him the once over, with a serious, business face, she hummed to herself. "I could maybe put in a good word for you, Conner."

She honestly didn't know why she was saying this, since it wasn't like her. There was just something she felt about the boy...maybe her usual intuition about animals was expanding. She'd done well in Care of Magical Creatures, back at Hogwarts, because she'd been able to kind of...well she didn't know what to call it. But she was feeling something similar with Conner. As if she could sense that he was an okay guy.
    Back to top Go down

Conner Bailey

PostSubject: Re: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Conner forced herself not smile too brightly realizing she was around his age. So not only was she beautiful and kind of out of his league, but she was friendly enough that he figured he had a chance. And he knew from a young age he was a dreamer, and he wasn't about to change that. If he could work some angle, maybe she would be into him. The smirk was enough for him to think that she was more than just a sweet face, and she had an edge. That was pretty appealing.

"It's a good place," she said as she turned back to him. Pretending to give him the once over, with a serious, business face, she hummed to herself. "I could maybe put in a good word for you, Conner."

Well wasn't she even better, he smiled brightly at the idea of working here. Looking around the area it seemed pretty chill, but even more so as he would get a great excuse to see her again and more often. 'Jeez man, don't seem to see too desperate. Try to play it cool' Trying to push the excitement down and try to be casual. Taking a sip of his drink, he nodded.

"Thanks Rhian, I'd really appreciate that." he said sincerely, "you seem like a good judge of character and if you can get me a hook up, I'd appreciate it, really."

If he got a job he could be out of the flat more often and avoid basically anything Ben had to throw at him. He smirked at the thought of not being called a nuisance, and maybe him working here would prompt Ben to go out and do something. His best friend was too antisocial, and he wished he could just meet a nice girl, or boy, he didn't care at this point, and just be happy.

"Do you go to school?" he asked out of the blue.
    Back to top Go down

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 9:25 pm

Honestly, she couldn't help the blush creeping up her neck at his words. Rhian wasn't a romantic. She didn't have boys constantly throwing themselves at her. Or...at least, she never bothered to notice. Many of them, over the years, had seen fit to play some sort of game. Pretend to be too cool to care, or fawn all over her until they realized she wouldn't take the bait. Either way, it was insincere.

Her eyes fell to her empty plate as she picked up her glass of Butterbeer. Emptying it, she glanced back over at the bar. Kevin wouldn't say it, but she saw the look in his eyes. With two patrons left, he was ready to get out of here.

She grabbed up her plate, not sure if Conner was done with his or not, and stood.

"Yeah, actually. I'm a first year up at the Academy." Another look at the bar and she saw Kevin motioning her over. If she had more time... "Maybe I'll see you around campus, yeah? Sorry to cut and dash, but I think Kev's going to be kicking everyone out soon."

Moving over to the small server station a few tables over, she dropped her things in a dish bin. She grabbed a relatively clean cloth, to get the salt off her hands. "And don't worry about dinner. It's on me." She sent an innocent wink his way. If he got a job here, Rhian figured they'd even things out. If not...well, it didn't hurt to buy a cute guy a meal now and again. Made for repeat customers after all.

With a last wave in his direction, she moved around the bar and back into the kitchen. Cleaning up wouldn't be a huge issue, since she wasn't really a messy cook. But all the while, she couldn't help this silly smile she had on her face. Must be all the late nights, she figured.
    Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)   Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner) Empty

Back to top Go down

Late Night Drink (Rhian and Conner)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
    Page 1 of 1