Merlin's Academy for Excellence
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to inactivity, Merlin's Academy is no longer a Harry Potter RP site. It is being used for CASUAL, CLEAN RP of ANY TOPIC among friends. If you wish to join, however, please feel free; we would love to make new friends. Thanks to everyone who made MAE what it was before, and we wish you all lots of love and a great life up ahead. <3

~Lor, Mads, Lyd, and Mel~
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to inactivity, Merlin's Academy is no longer a Harry Potter RP site. It is being used for CASUAL, CLEAN RP of ANY TOPIC among friends. If you wish to join, however, please feel free; we would love to make new friends. Thanks to everyone who made MAE what it was before, and we wish you all lots of love and a great life up ahead. <3

~Lor, Mads, Lyd, and Mel~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Site Time

~Month: September~

Year: 2017

~Season: Autumn~

Important Info
LINKS

• MAE Rules
  • Hex Colour Codes
  • Character Applications
  • Claims Center
  • Jobs

• CHARACTERS NEEDED

None at the moment

Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
    AuthorMessage
    Kanoa Mahi'ai
    Kanoa Mahi'ai

Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey) Empty
    PostSubject: Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey)   Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey) EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 10:13 pm

Transfering to a University in the UK had been an interesting switch for her. She was used to hot weather, beaches, sand, and all the other stereotypical things one associated with island life; after all, growing up on Hawaii had ingrained a desire for the ocean every few hours so deeply that it had been no easy task adjusting to her life in Ilvermorny. She'd received both the flapping of wings and a raised arrow, a quick and silent debate in her mind leading her to join the house of the soul, of adventurers, and she grew up in Thunderbird knowing she'd made the right choice.

School had been fun, but she'd still longed to go back to the simple island life she so adored - until, as she was packing up on her last day at Ilvermorny, a crow appeared on her windowsill, holding a single letter in its beak. Kanoa had never heard of Merlin's Academy before, and according to the letter, there was a reason for this; magic prevented anyone from mentioning this wonderous University, although a footnote mentioned this rule being under review.

It hadn't been much of a decision at all, with her saying yes almost at once.

Telling her parents had been another thing altogether, and it had taken her a while to convince both mother and father that Dragoneering was indeed something she wanted to do - and, more importantly, could see herself doing - for the rest of her life. Yes, as much as she loved surfing and walking on the beach and snorkeling, dragons had always been the thing that captivated her the most.

And so, at nineteen, she set off to Merlin's Academy, having taken a year off to relax and say her goodbyes; who knew how long it would take before she returned? Her first few days had gone wonderful. She loved the ocean nearby, reminding her that she was never too far from home. More importantly, she loved classes.

Professor Ellingston had given her permission to visit the dragon stables on her own, so long as she stayed behind the viewing glass and made sure not to even attempt to unlock the doors, after making sure she knew that he had eyes and ears all over the place. Somehow, that did not surprise her; Codey - as he insisted on being called - did not seem like the type of man who messed around.

Stepping into the stables, she made her way towards the first enclosure, realising from the get-go that an undetectable extension charm made this place much more like a giant zoo than a stable.
    Back to top Go down
    Humphrey Williams
    Humphrey Williams
    Dragon Trainers In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey)   Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey) EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 10:24 pm

Humphrey was in his second year of the dragon training program, and was loving it. Professor Ellingston, or Codey as he preferred to be called, was a stern but fair teacher who definitely knew his stuff. Not every class was spent working with the dragons but none of the lessons were boring, at least to him. As he had a little more experience with the dragons than he did in his first year he was allowed to feed the dragons in the stables. That's where he was when one of the newcomers to the course walked into the stables. After finishing up tossing the last dragon his meat he walked out, drawing up short when he saw a pretty tan girl he hadn't met before. Blushing a soft pink, he gave her a wave and a friendly smile. "Hello, didn't expect to meet anyone aside from the dragons out here today." he said, chuckling.

Walking over to the new girl, he held out his hand. "It's nice to meet you, I'm Humphrey Williams. Second year in the course so I get the honor of feeding these cool dragons." he explained. Part of what had factored into him getting the job was the professor knew he was a werewolf, and as such if something happened while he was feeding his body stood a better chance of healing itself or withstanding the damage. There weren't a lot of perks to being a werewolf, but the enhanced healing was definitely awesome. None of the students knew about it because that wasn't something he often shared. He just didn't want people looking at him with looks of pity for being one, or pitying him for losing his family to the beast who had bit him. More than anything, he simply wanted to be treated like a regular person even if he was a monster. "So what brings you out here?" he asked.
    Back to top Go down
    Kanoa Mahi'ai
    Kanoa Mahi'ai

PostSubject: Re: Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey)   Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey) EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 10:41 pm

What was it that captivated her so much about those creatures? Kanoa could have never been entirely certain. All she knew was that ever since that Magical Creatures class when she was introduced to the concept of these beasts, she was hooked. And when, years later, she learnt that not only could she become someone who worked with them but that MACUSA was actively looking for more Dragoneers, it was something her heart fixated on - almost as much as she fixated on surfing.

If there was one thing about Kanoa that was both a flaw and a weakness, it was her ability to get what she wanted. When it was too dangerous to surf and her soul was craving the open ocean, she had walked halfway across the island to find a section of beach that didn't have the strong gales and currents. She had done two waves and spent the rest of the day walking back to her home. It hadn't really been worth it, considering that the very next day the swell had calmed enough for a whole day's worth of surfing, but it had been something her brother and parents used as an example of how headstrong she was - especially considering she'd only been fifteen at the time.

A voice caught her attention, drawing her out from memory lane - a dangerous place to venture into, for she could never really be sure when she returned if left to her own devices - and she turned, offering a smile to the male heading towards her. "Neither did I!" she replied, honestly, but her tone was friendly, showing that she didn't mind it.

"Kanoa Mahi'ai," she replied, taking his hand. "I've been here a total of six days."
    Back to top Go down
    Humphrey Williams
    Humphrey Williams

PostSubject: Re: Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey)   Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey) EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 11:08 pm

The girl had an accent he didn't recognize as anywhere in the UK, but he still understood her fine. Really he just found himself kind of curious where she was from. Deciding it didn't really matter, he decided he may as well welcome the newbie. "Pleasure to meet you Miss Mahi'ai. Mind if I ask where you're from? Never heard an accent like yours." Humphrey said, interested to learn more about his new classmate. If she'd only been here less than a week it certainly explained why he hadn't bumped into her until now.

Figuring he may as well tell her what he knew, Humphrey proceeded to tell her around and tell her what breeds the different dragons were and which ones were more dangerous than others. He was sure their teacher could do a better job, but he did the best he could. After Humphrey gave her a basic overview of them he shrugged. "That's pretty much all I know about them. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Anything else I can help you with?" he asked. The young man didn't really have any plans so he'd be happy to help her out more if she needed it, definitely better than just going back to his dorm and reading a book.
    Back to top Go down
    Kanoa Mahi'ai
    Kanoa Mahi'ai

PostSubject: Re: Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey)   Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey) EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 11:37 pm

Smiling at his comment, she gave an offhanded wave, dismissing what he'd called her. "Kanoa is fine," she told him. The formality was... interesting. She was much more used to simplicity - politeness nevertheless, but greetings were almost always much less formal. "I'm from Hawaii," she answered, a second later. There was no helping the hint of pride in her tone as she spoke, indicating to all that would listen that she would not trade her home for anything in the world.

Lilo and Stitch had been bright in their famous saying - ohana means family, and family means no one is left behind - and while she'd technically left the island behind in search of her heart's desire, it did not mean that she'd left for good. No, she'd merely gone away for a short while, but she would always find her way back there, one way or another - and, with apparation, this was much easier done than said.

Being a third generation wizard meant she grew up around magic, learning it since a young age, and it was no surprise when she quickly rose to the top of her class; her mother had been in the house for brains, where she'd met Kanoa's father.

The tour was a welcomed surprise, and she took in all he was saying with nods and simple questions here and there. It wasn't much that she didn't already know from textbooks - she went through every book she could get her hands on that was about dragons, devouring them almost as often as she went surfing - but it was nice of him, and she didn't say otherwise.

"You were plenty of help," she told him, after, with a smile. "Thank you for the offer. If I have questions, I'll know who to go to!" she added, not being able to think of anything off the top of her head. But he seemed nice, and making friends was on her list of things to do, and so she asked, "Are you local?"
    Back to top Go down
    Humphrey Williams
    Humphrey Williams

PostSubject: Re: Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey)   Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey) EmptySat Dec 24, 2016 6:16 am

When she told him he should call her by her first name Humphrey wasn't too surprised, most people around his age preferred that. He just hated assuming it was okay to do that because it seemed rather presumptuous, especially if it was somebody that you hadn't met before. Upon learning she was on Hawaii the unusual sounding name to him made a lot more sense, and he found himself thinking it would be rather cool to grow up on an island away from everybody else. "That's pretty cool Kanoa. So do you like, go surfing and hang out on the beach a lot or is that stereotype not really a thing there?" he asked her curiously.

Humphrey blushed a little and looked away when she told him he was plenty of help and thanked him for the offer of more assistance. Really, it was the right thing to do so of course he was going to help a person new to the dragon program and his school. And, well, it didn't hurt that she was a rather pretty girl, too. "It was my pleasure to help out another future dragon handler." he said after a moment. The question of whether he was local made him chuckle and he shook his head in the negative. "Not really, was born in Bath and live in York now when I'm not at school. Am British though, so if that counts as local then absolutely." he told her with a wink. "I have learned my way around here a bit though, so if you want somebody to show you around the town or the campus feel free to let me know."
    Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey)   Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey) Empty

Back to top Go down

Dragons and New Friends (Humphrey)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
    Page 1 of 1