Merlin's Academy for Excellence
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to inactivity, Merlin's Academy is no longer a Harry Potter RP site. It is being used for CASUAL, CLEAN RP of ANY TOPIC among friends. If you wish to join, however, please feel free; we would love to make new friends. Thanks to everyone who made MAE what it was before, and we wish you all lots of love and a great life up ahead. <3

~Lor, Mads, Lyd, and Mel~
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to inactivity, Merlin's Academy is no longer a Harry Potter RP site. It is being used for CASUAL, CLEAN RP of ANY TOPIC among friends. If you wish to join, however, please feel free; we would love to make new friends. Thanks to everyone who made MAE what it was before, and we wish you all lots of love and a great life up ahead. <3

~Lor, Mads, Lyd, and Mel~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Site Time

~Month: September~

Year: 2017

~Season: Autumn~

Important Info
LINKS

• MAE Rules
  • Hex Colour Codes
  • Character Applications
  • Claims Center
  • Jobs

• CHARACTERS NEEDED

None at the moment

Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
    AuthorMessage
    Codey Ellingston
    Codey Ellingston
    Headmaster
    Headmaster

Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) Empty
    PostSubject: Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)   Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 3:16 am

The day before class, Codey had sent an owl to each and every student, making sure to get all the details correct and highlighting the most important parts. He did not want anyone to be late, especially not for what he had planned this time.

Dear students,
    For your next Health and Habitat lesson, we will be focusing on the latter. As such, please dress in trekking attire and bring nothing else with you; I will be supplying what you require for the class. Meet me outside the dragons stables at 8:45AM sharp. If by 9AM you are not there, you cannot participate in the lesson. This is not because I won’t allow you, but because we will not be on site, so please do arrive on time.

Punctuality is important, and I do expect that from all my dragon trainers. If for whatever reason you cannot make it, or will be late for a valid reason, send me a reply owl or come and see me personally. If not, I will assume you will be coming. Tardiness or skipping class will result in severe consequences, unless a valid reason can be supplied.

I understand that your dragon eggs cannot be left alone for too long periods of time, and I have made arrangements with a co-worker of mine to take care of them for you during this class. You will bring your eggs with you and someone will be here to take them temporarily.

I will see you then.

-Codey Neal E.

At half past 8, Codey was already standing outside. Everything had been prepared and set up; all he needed were the students to arrive. If any of them didn’t heed his very clear instructions, then honestly, that person wasn’t someone worth his time. He himself, however, had not bothered to change out of his favourite attire – he still wore a grey suit and tie, trousers, and work shoes. It was how he always worked, even when dealing with dragons, and saw no point in changing what worked for him. Besides, it helped with his image, and that was something he had spent ages building. He was not about to risk it for a bunch of students. Slipping his hands into his pockets, he waited for the first one to arrive.

Behind him, a plank of wood leaned against the wall of the stables, innocent and unassuming. Codey's co-worker stood next to it, in shorts and a t-shirt, and the two were making casual conversation while they waited.
    Back to top Go down
    Violet Lynch
    Violet Lynch
    Dragon Trainers In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)   Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 4:49 am

Unfortunately for Violet, she hadn't been able to attend the first lesson of her course. For the first time in quite a long while, she'd been ill. Fortunately, she'd spoken to the Professor, and had gotten the previous lesson's assignment. With a quick word to the Professor, explaining her reason for not attending, she had been assigned her dragon (a Romanian Longhorn), and caught up with all the work missed during the lesson.

Now, she'd received the letter, detailing the plans for this lesson. She made sure to set an alarm, to get up early. Throwing on some comfortable jeans (Violet never wore shorts), and a t-shirt, and joggers. Good enough for the lesson. Grabbing her dragon egg, she made her way down to the Dragon stables. She hadn't expected anyone else, besides the Professor, to be there. And she was right.  She was the first student to arrive. It was right on eight forty, so she was five minutes early. With a slight nod to Professor Ellingston, in acknowledgement, she waited for others to arrive.
    Back to top Go down

Conner Bailey

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)   Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 1:15 pm

They were going out, and Conner couldn't be more excited. If theory was his week spot, trekking was where he could shine. He had woken up at six in the morning to make sure his commute wouldn't lag and would factor in every possible problem that could occur. So at eight-thirty he was running on campus, hoping to get there before he could be left behind. He already felt he was walking on a tight rope and he wasn't about to disappoint the professor.

For example his clothing, he chose warm pants, thick enough to keep him warm in the winter weather, but comfortable enough that he could move around in it. And for the top, a regular t-shirt seemed like enough, along with a jumper that he could remove if he got hot, though he doubted it. Lastly his comfy trainers were enough to feel ready for the lesson. Walking quickly he saw that he was the second student there and grinned relieved to arrive on time.

He briefly noted that there was a girl there, and he'd never seen her before. Still, he sent a smile her way hoping that maybe they could become friends.
    Back to top Go down

Alana Greene

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)   Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 9:10 pm

Alana had been quiet ill and had to miss class. Well, that was what she told the professor. In reality, she had been highly hung over and had been throwing up all night. So, yes, she felt like shit, and was sick, but not the kind of sick he thought. She smiled when she received her egg, the Common Welsh Green. Ha! like her last name! She had promised not to miss anymore classes, so that had to mean that she couldn't drink anymore. Or... a little less than she had the night before. Because she was still gonna drink. Nobody could stop her from having a good time.

But like she promised, she made it to class at 8:45 sharp, and the professor was already there. She smiled and said, "Hello Professor. Lets do this!" She looked down in embarrassment. Why was she so embarrassing. She facepalmed, and hoped the day would get better.
    Back to top Go down

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)   Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Taking the long way around to class, Rhian couldn't pass up the opportunity to visit the Quidditch pitch. It wasn't far from the stables, and she'd been up early enough to make a little stop. Walking onto the field, silent in this early morning stillness, a large grin spread across her face. The last time she was here, she'd met the Professor. She hadn't known then, who he was.

Her hand rubbed over the egg bound against her front by soft cloth. "Maybe we can fly together here one day. Think you'd like it." They'd been told to take care of the little things until they could fly. But, she could hope to be able to fly with it at least once before they took it away.

It was closing in on time for class. Moving towards the stables, she picked up the pace a bit. With worn sneakers, and a baggy pair of jeans, she wasn't really interested in looking good for class. With a long t-shirt, she'd warn a thick coat over it, just in case. The weather was chilly now, and if things got physically taxing, she could always take off layers. Besides, she was always a tad colder than normal people.

Seeing another girl a bit ahead of her, Rhian couldn't remember seeing her in class before. Whether she was new or not didn't really matter. Wrapping her arms around her egg, an instinctive move, she saw the small group of people now gathered.

"Morning, Professor," she greeted the man. Again, Conner was the only one she knew amongst the students. Moving to stand by him, she was curious what they would be doing today.
    Back to top Go down
    Tess Holmes
    Tess Holmes
    Healer In-Training
    Healer In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)   Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 8:00 pm

Tess was not a morning person, and she hated it more than anything. She loved sleeping in, cuddling deep into her bed and roll out in the afternoon for classes. But she knew that this wasn't just any class, if Codey was teaching it. Getting ready, she slid a pair of tight pants that retained heat, some trainers and a warm jumper to keep her protected from the wind.

She was a bit nervous about trekking, not a nature person well...but nature. Yet slipping a beanie on her hair to avoid having to brush it, and was out of the flat. Grumbling slightly, she hugged herself as she apparated successfully onto the fields. Smiling sleepily at Codey she shuffled over to Rhian seeing her there and sighed she had arrived on time.
    Back to top Go down
    Codey Ellingston
    Codey Ellingston
    Headmaster
    Headmaster

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)   Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 9:46 pm

As each person arrived, Codey acknowledge them as much as they did him; for those who nodded, he nodded back; for those who said hello and smiled, he smiled and said hello. Checking his watch, he noted he had about five more minutes before the time he had given, and glanced around at the students. So far, two were new, including the one who just arrived. Their excuses for missing his intro had been sketchy at best, but as a Professor he gave them the benefit of the doubt - this time. In time they would come to know he did not tolerate petty excuses.

Looking up again, he replied the greeting given by Rhian and checked his watch one more time. Turning back to give his colleague a nod, he straightened just as a crack sounded and he resisted a tiny chuckle as Tess joined them. She looked like she had just gotten out of bed, and he was quite sure that was exactly what had happened. At long as the students made, it, however, he didn't care if they were in their pyjamas or birthday suit - although that last option would definitely be amusing.

Stepping forward, he took a few moments to make eye contact with them all. "Good morning. I suppose some of you expect congratulations on being on time; I will be giving none. It is your responsibility as a student and as a person to be on time, and as such I do not see a need to thank you for doing what you are expected to." He paused, then allowed a slight smile to show. "But for those you here, I am proud to say you are my students. If you would kindly pass a message to the three - Humphrey, Jaycie, and Riley - who have not provided a reason to their lateness or inability to attend: tell them I wish to see them personally in my office by the end of this week." Out of the four not there, only one had replied his owl, telling him that there were some issues happening, and despite the lack of detail, he had respected the fact that she had taken time to reply.

Taking a breath, he motioned to the man beside him. "This is Matt. He will be taking care of your eggs while we are gone for the day. Please place your eggs in the individual baskets and label them before now; they can be found inside the stable. Matt will show you where." Waiting for them to do so, Codey walked over and grabbed the plank, dropping it onto the ground before him, right where the students had been standing.

Once they were all back, he motioned to it. "A portkey, to.. Well, you will find out. There are five minutes before it leaves, so I will brief you first and questions can be asked."

"Today, we will be going on a trek. First, we will be doing a simple jungle path - or as much of a path as you imagine a jungle will have. The path has already been marked out by myself, with red cloth. All you need to do is walk from cloth to cloth, tied around trees and branches; the next one will always be visible. Take turns to lead. I will be following behind to gather the markers, so you do not accidentally go back from where you came from. Along the way, there will be a small river, which I expect you to cross; getting wet will not kill you. After that.." he smirked. "You will find out."

"Around noon, depending on how fast you are, we will reach a clearing. Another portkey will be waiting to take us to the second part of the trek, to another location. It is set to leave at 1pm, so if we arrive there way before, you can have lunch and your break there," he paused to make sure they understood they could not take their time in the trek. "But if not, we will have lunch at the other location. I am sure for those of you who have read your text book, you know the main locations of dragons, and can easily predict where we will be heading after the jungle."

Glancing at his watch, he nodded to himself. "Forty seconds. Please grab a part of the plank," he instructed, picking it up and holding it out. "Also please note, if any of you at any time need help, let me know, and I will assist you. Your safety is more important than displays of bravado."

There was a pulling sensation a few seconds later, and then just like that, they were in the middle of a jungle. Letting go, he stepped back. "I have already walked this entire course multiple times to test it, so do not be afraid; even if you do not know where you are, I do. And for Merlin's sake, stay together at all times. Do not wander off on your own. Bathroom breaks are allowed, if you tell me first."

Waiting for it to sink in, he pointed over his shoulder with his thumb. ""Any questions, ask now. If not, please begin. The first red cloth is directly behind me."

[[OOC: Please post them walking along the trek. You can make it up in terms of terrain and obstacles, but please note that there is no distinguishable path; it is literally a middle-of-the-jungle setting. It is also rather hot and humid, as they are NOT in a place with a winter/fall setting - it is a season-less location.]]
    Back to top Go down

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)   Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Smiling over at Tess, Rhian was happy to see her in the small group. She'd just been told a few days ago that the girl had decided to join her major. This was their first lesson together, for Dragon-training, and she was honestly looking forward to what it would entail.

The professor started them off with a bit of a lecture. Well, it would be, if the people it was meant for were actually here. Not that Rhian could say much, since she'd been late to Potions on the first lesson. But getting to know the professors at the academy...well, she really didn't want to be late again.

She wasn't very keen on the idea of handing over her egg. While she'd allowed Tess to watching over it when she had shifts at the pub, Rhian didn't really trust anyone else. But if Professor Ellingston was saying they had to leave them, she was going to grin and bare it. Placing the egg in the designated area, she scribbled her name on a piece of parchement, claiming it. Even if things got a bit mixed up, she'd know her egg anywhere. In the time she'd had it, she'd taken note of the slight differences in color patterns on the scales. The journal she was keeping on it had many sketches and paragraphs on this alone.

Codey started in on explainations, then. Oh. Definitely not what she was expecting. Sure, the letter had mentioned they were going off campus, but she hadn't expected it would be somewhere warm. After the initial description of what they'd be doing, and the instruction to take hold of the plank, Rhian felt her heart race. Would they see dragons? What other obstacles would they be facing? As much as she loved the idea of working with those amazing creatures, the thrill of adventure wasn't something she would pass up either.

As they all clasped on to the Portkey, she looked across the small group, at Conner. A soft smile crept up her face, along with a twinkle in her eye, before they were all spinning away to another place.

With a solid thud, she landed hard on the dirt. It was spongier than the earth they'd just left. Soft and warm under her hands. Immediately, she felt a sweat break out. Merlin, it was hot. Looking down at her attire, she instantly regretted it. As the small group moved to get themselves up and situated, Rhian tore off her jacket. Pulling out her wand, she shrunk it easy enough, so it could fit in her pocket. It had been too bulky to wrap around her waist. For the pants there was nothing to do.

She looked around then, taking the moment to tie up her hair. Like Codey'd said, there really wasn't much of a bath through the brush of the forest. Rhian could make out patches of earth here and there, but it was mostly covered in moss and other plantlife.

Through the trees, though, she caught sight of the red ribbons that they were being directed to. The first year was not much of a leader, never had been. She wouldn't really label herself a follower, either. Mostly, she just made her own way. So, she was tempted to wait for someone else to take the first steps down the trail. After a bit, when no one seemed to want to go first, she took a deep breath and moved forward, a small smile to Codey.

Pulling out her wand, she wasn't quite sure if they were meant to use them. Yes, the professor had walked this trail many times, but she wasn't sure what they would be meeting along the way. Animals, plants, any other form of strange thing. Clenching her jaw with determination, she made her way through the jungle, leading them on.

The way was a bit slower than she'd like, as there seemed to be all manner of trunks risen out of the ground. Rhian almost tripped a couple times, but the trees were close enough that she could reach out to them. Rips in her jeans, and a few cuts here and there, Rhian was really hoping for that river soon.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)   Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 11:51 am

Daniel had blown off the first lesson of Dragon Training - why? He was lazy. Getting out of bed just hadn't seemed worth it the first semester. Or rather, not having his staff around him after a summer of being home. But now, he was back in the world of having to do things for himself. And... well, it hadn't worked.

He'd heard from various places around the university about dragon eggs being given out, or something equally ridiculous. And after noting he would be spending an extended break back home. The professor had been noted of this much, and due to commitments at home, he couldn't be there for the start of class.

Daniel stood outside the stable, waiting for the professor to come and pick him up as they'd agreed. Daniel didn't know why, exactly, he had to wait and couldn't just have been given the location to meet the class. With a small sigh to himself, Daniel looked around for the man in question.

Patience really wasn't his strong suit.
    Back to top Go down
    Codey Ellingston
    Codey Ellingston
    Headmaster
    Headmaster

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)   Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 3:44 am

There had been a reply regarding some new Pureblood intake - or an old one who had never shown up for classes, Codey wasn't exactly sure which - being late to his latest class. Replying at once to tell the boy to meet him at the stable nevertheless, he kept an eye on the time while following behind his students.

When the allocated time had arrived, Codey very quickly apparated back to the University - his entire plan was to get Daniel there without anyone ever realizing he was gone. The last thing he wanted was for them to think he had abandoned them and for some idiot to panic, but he also didn't want to bother them by telling them he would be gone.

Adjusting his tie as he arrived, Codey walked briskly towards the boy. "Mister Daniel, I take it. Come, we must get going," he said at once, not bothering for introductions and offering him his arm.

Once the boy did so, Codey efficiently took them back to the exact spot he had been mere moments earlier. Motioning to the students in front, Codey smiled a little, picking up the pace to join them. "Walk next to me, I'll brief you," he told the boy, waiting for him to do so before quickly going through everything he had told his previous students.
    Back to top Go down
    Tess Holmes
    Tess Holmes
    Healer In-Training
    Healer In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)   Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 11:45 pm

Tess Holmes would never admit she had gotten attached to her egg, but as she was forced to leave it behind, she was hesitant. Her poor little egg was pampered in her home, and she clung to it softly frowning at the man that would take care of it. It felt as if she was a kid again and she was asked to leave the toy behind. Kissing it softly she placed it on the designated area and gave the man a firm look before following the group.

Nature was not her friend. In fact, one of the things that Tess hated more than insects, was nature, the place that they inhabited. The idea of a hike, was already painful enough; last time she had truly exercised had been the day that Slytherin had won the Quidditch game, over seven months. Still, she was proud of herself for not huffing as she marched up the trail, behind Rhian. To be quite honest, Rhian was more of a leader than Tess. Tess fell in line in almost every aspect of her life. At home, she took the role of female, and would pour drinks to her father, help her mother sow, and plan family dinners with their business partners. It was the freedom of university that allowed her to try and get dirty.

She was growing hot after their half-hour trek up. She removed her hat, and threw it in her satchel, allowing her wavy hair to feel the breeze that was coming their way. At the end of the road, it seemed that they'd reached the river. Sliding through people trying to get to the front, she placed her hand on Rhian's shoulder and told her she could take this part of the trek.

Taking a deep breath she bit back a whine, as she slipped her feet in. She dug them in deep through the rocks in hopes of not falling over. She was going to try to be as graceful as possible. As her shoes began to soak in the water she winced and instead just began to dive in. Fuck it. The water was cold, well anything was cold in January. Walking through the water she winced as it began to rise around her, up to her abdomen, and right below her chest. Sliding through, she bobbed a bit as the currents ran through. Not enough to make her fall over, but enough for her to wobble. Turning back she made signals, as she stepped in areas, digging her foot in so people wouldn't fall in. Swimming was a better option, despite how small it was, and she began to simply glide through the water, taking advantage of her swimming skills.

Pulling herself up, she winced. 'I need to work on upper body strength' she mourned. Sitting on the grass she waited for the rest of the group to catch up, as she was trying to calm down her breathing and get back on track. She hated nature. It was as easy as that.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)   Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 3:42 am

Daniel had followed Professor Ellingston in an instant, taking his arm and waiting for the awful feeling of apparition to leave him. He would never admit to disliking that method of transport, but he would hate it mindlessly no less. The arrived just behind the small group, instantly feeling the warmth around them. Daniel's face was probably a picture as he took to the heat. Sweat beading on his back almost immediately.

Slipping out his wand, the young man transfigured his jeans in to shorts, rolling up his shirt sleeves and walking alongside their professor as he explained what they would be doing today. Daniel nodded where necessary, wishing he'd brought a water bottle rather than just a sandwich for the whole day. Mistake number one.

Once the professor had finished explaining what was expected, Daniel nodded, hurrying up to catch up with the girls ahead. He stayed behind them, until they got to the river, quite content in following them to see where the places were to be avoided, and where was safe. And - what with two beautiful women in front - it wasn't a bad thing, either.

As they got to the water, Daniel was somewhat relieved, it would at least give them a moment to cool down as they crossed, and wash away the disgusting feel of sweat that made his clothes cling to his skin. Watching Tess go first, Daniel stepped in to the water, pausing to look back at the professor. With a small pep talk to himself, the young man waded in to the water, relieved at the relatively cool feeling of the water as he crossed in much the same manner Tess had.

Mistake number two came to Daniel as he moved further in to the water was that he hadn't made the contents of his bag waterproof. Meaning anything and everything inside it was now ruined.

Pulling himself out of the water on to the bank next to Tess, Daniel gave the witch a small smile. "That's better, eh?" He asked getting to his feet and holding his hand out to the witch. "We best get going if we're going to make it on time." He added as she took his hand and he helped her up, letting go once he was sure she had her footing. With that, Daniel set off after the red cloth he'd seen on a nearby tree.

"So, Holmes, how's your dragon going?" Daniel asked, because he'd heard the rumour, but he didn't have his yet, what with missing the first lesson. The young man was quite happy at the front, making sure to point out the things to avoid to those behind him to make sure there weren't any accidents or something similar. They were hoping for a clearing, but Daniel couldn't yet see one.

It was a good half an hour, with nothing of note in their way before the clearing came in to view, and with a quick check of his watch, it seemed they had about ten minutes to spare. Taking up a seat on the ground, Daniel took a moment to collect himself. He was hot again, and he was quite tired, the dramatic heat change was difficult to deal with, but he wasn't going to give up.
    Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)   Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years) Empty

Back to top Go down

Dragon Training - Health and Habitat Lesson 2 (All Years)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
    Page 1 of 1