Merlin's Academy for Excellence
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to inactivity, Merlin's Academy is no longer a Harry Potter RP site. It is being used for CASUAL, CLEAN RP of ANY TOPIC among friends. If you wish to join, however, please feel free; we would love to make new friends. Thanks to everyone who made MAE what it was before, and we wish you all lots of love and a great life up ahead. <3

~Lor, Mads, Lyd, and Mel~
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to inactivity, Merlin's Academy is no longer a Harry Potter RP site. It is being used for CASUAL, CLEAN RP of ANY TOPIC among friends. If you wish to join, however, please feel free; we would love to make new friends. Thanks to everyone who made MAE what it was before, and we wish you all lots of love and a great life up ahead. <3

~Lor, Mads, Lyd, and Mel~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Site Time

~Month: September~

Year: 2017

~Season: Autumn~

Important Info
LINKS

• MAE Rules
  • Hex Colour Codes
  • Character Applications
  • Claims Center
  • Jobs

• CHARACTERS NEEDED

None at the moment

Myths and folklores (OPEN)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
    AuthorMessage
    Ariel Wilde
    Ariel Wilde
    Potioneers In-Training
    Potioneers In-Training

Myths and folklores (OPEN) Empty
    PostSubject: Myths and folklores (OPEN)   Myths and folklores (OPEN) EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 1:52 am

Before she had arrived at the academy, Ariel had done some research and found out about the weeping woman shack. She was curious to see what it was all about, and found the folklore extremely interesting and sad. She didn't go at night, and even though most folklores were superstitions, Ariel wasn't going to take that chance. She hadn't believed the tales of the Shrieking Shack in Hogsmeade either, so she guessed she didn't believe much that wasn't already proven.

Ariel left her dorm and walked out of the academy, wanting to explore the forest, and perhaps find the shack. She was curious about what she might find. Hopefully not a dragon who'd cut himself loose. That would be bad. But a small part of Ariel did wish for that; dragons were seriously cool. She had had a hard time deciding which subject she wanted to take, but thinking of the years she'd worked at the apothecary, she thought it was safe to say that Potioneer was definitely her thing. She'd simply hang out with dragon-trainers and watch some of their classes. Hopefully...

Arriving into the forest, Ariel smirked. She loved the scent of woods. It was so refreshing and unspoiled by the horribleness that was pollution. Weird thing; so many wizards in the world, but no one did anything about pollution. There wasn't much difference between muggles and magical people; they were all equally lazy. Ariel wasn't a saint herself, really.

She continued walking, listening to the noices in the woods. Birds were chirping. And the wood closed around her. She suspected that the forest was a pretty thick one, and the further in she walked, the thicker it would get. Which was fine by her. She heard some twigs break, but she didn't bother to stop and listen more. She had her wand. And then, totally out of nowhere, she'd walked into a ... clearing was the wrong word. But a circle of sorts with trees tightly surrounding a brown, weary house. Ariel could easily understand why they called it a shack. Branches were hanging and lying on the roof, and had probably assisted with the holes here and there.

Ariel sighed. She somewhat hoped no one would've ever lived there. Not because the house couldn't have been really cool, but more because it was so secluded. And that was when she noticed that she wasn't alone.
    Back to top Go down
    Brooke Astrid
    Brooke Astrid
    Professors
    Professors

PostSubject: Re: Myths and folklores (OPEN)   Myths and folklores (OPEN) EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 3:04 am

Taking things one step at a time and as they came, Brooke had not really known much about Merlin's Academy. Rather, she applied and then just went about her daily business until the letter of approval came - and then, a week before she was due to leave, packed all her bags and finalized her staying arrangements. Or at least, she confirmed she would be staying on campus; who her room mates would be (if she had any, although she was sure she did) she honestly did not really know.

Carefree, spontaneous, and constantly on the move was what Brooke was, and so it was no huge surprise that she arrived a while before term was supposed to start, fully intending to make herself 'at home' by the time lessons started. She wasn't sure how intense or time consuming classes would be, but she figured that the most time she would have to explore the place would be before anything started. Explore she did, wandering the town from morning to evening, and walking all the floors of the academy itself, trying to memorize the layout - but still getting lost.

It was strange, then, that she had not ventured into forest near the Academy, although many rumours surrounded some shack that was apparently there. Brooke had never truly believed in anything superstitious, but with settling in and whatnot, she had completely forgotten to pay the place a visit. At least, that is, until one morning when she awoke from a bizarre dream that involved the shack and Joe and something about a donkey riding a butterfly - the details were hazy, fading even more so with every passing second as she became more awake.

After changing and grabbing a bun from the pantry on her way out, she made up her mind to visit the shack and explore the forest once and for all. Wearing her favourite pair of jeans (for she found that she liked them more than robes at times) and an old t-shirt, she navigated through the trees, smiling as the scent of wood, fresh dew, and, well, green, filled the air. It reminded her of home, and of Joe. It took her quite a while, not that she really minded, before she reached the shack.

Old, and well worn, it held a sort of dignified yet sad beauty, and Brooke fell in love with it at once. It seemed that nobody was living there - the windows had no glass, the roof had holes, and there were cobwebs covering the door frames - and that somehow added to the mystery and originality of the place. Footsteps sounded from somewhere nearby and immediately she turned around, slipping out her wand and holding it tightly, looking for the source of the noise. Hopefully it was an animal, or another student come exploring, but one could never be too sure, and Brooke tensed, mentally preparing herself to cast either offensive or defensive spells.
    Back to top Go down
    Ariel Wilde
    Ariel Wilde
    Potioneers In-Training
    Potioneers In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Myths and folklores (OPEN)   Myths and folklores (OPEN) EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 5:00 am

Ariel spun on her heel, her wand suddenly out when she had a location on whatever it was that was there. She saw red and then blinked. It was a girl! Ariel gave a short laugh and grinned at her. "Hello!" she said happily, walking a bit closer. "Sorry about that, I guess old houses get to you sometimes," she said, her eyes gleaming. The girl looked to be around her own age. Ariel didn't guess, though; she'd found that after Hogwarts, it was difficult to tell if someone was the year older or younger, or even more. A 25 year old could pass for an 18 year old.

Ariel noticed that the girl was also holding her wand in her hand. No surprise there; this was a new place, so not being on your guard might lose you an arm. Or something. Ariel was good at exaggerating. "I'm Ariel," she said as she got a bit closer and gave a hand to shake. She'd put her own wand away when she saw it was a human. Someone might think that this could be the mother, but as the folklore was ages old, and this girl was wearing jeans, Ariel suspected she was not.

A thought came to mind as Ariel realized that this might actually not be the girl's first year. Another reason to not like the age-thing. You just couldn't know stuff like that... "Are you a returning student? Or first year?" she asked curiously. It would be nice to meet more people. She'd only just met her roommate, which had exceeded expectations. Hopefully meeting someone outside would be good as well.
    Back to top Go down
    Brooke Astrid
    Brooke Astrid
    Professors
    Professors

PostSubject: Re: Myths and folklores (OPEN)   Myths and folklores (OPEN) EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 9:25 pm

The appearance of another girl, also carrying her wand, came as a relief to the ex-Gryffindor and she let out a small laugh as she slid her wand back to its hiding place. "Hi hi," she replied with a smile. "No problem, I guess we both scared each other," she added, grinning. Taking in the appearance of the witch before her, Brooke wondered if she was a student like herself, and if so, what she was studying. So far, she had only met one other Auror-trainee, and he had been far into his years at Uni. It would be nice to meet someone of her age, or at least, someone who was also new to the Uni.

"I'm Ariel,"

"Brooke," she responded, taking the hand offered and giving it a soft shake. "So, the shack is really something, isn't it? Beautiful in a sad sort of way," she continued, motioning to the place once they let go. Glancing over at it one more time, she gave a half shrug. "I wonder if it's true, and we can hear someone crying if we're quiet," she mused, wondering if the girl before her would be too scared to find out or, if like herself, Ariel was more curious than afraid.

Not needing to think before answering, Brooke smiled. "A first year. It's kind of nice to be able to feel like this again - you know, like a lost little newbie." She gave a laugh. "What about you?"
    Back to top Go down
    Ariel Wilde
    Ariel Wilde
    Potioneers In-Training
    Potioneers In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Myths and folklores (OPEN)   Myths and folklores (OPEN) EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 10:30 am

Ariel grinned; the girl was a happy one. Goodie. Ariel couldn't stand whiners. Nothing was more annoying in the whole wide world. Though... She'd only been talking to the girl for a few seconds. She might still prove to be a whiner. Despite that fact, Ariel decided to remain positive; might be this girl would be one of her very first friends. At least in Ariel's definition of the word. Which was not a very normal definition.

"Nice to meet you, Brooke," Ariel replied. She liked the name. It was a cool name. Like, brrrrrooccckk. So definite. So straight up harsh. Ariel looked to the shack. Beautiful wouldn't be her words to describe it, but the image of it, the existence of it was. She supposed that was what Brooke did mean. Because the house in itself was not beautiful. "I suppose," she merely said, and smiled softly. "We might. But I don't believe in ghost stories much, since ghosts actually do exist and stuff, I don't feel like they're a very intimidating sort," she said with a shrug. She then looked around. "There might be a poltergeist, though. That is a possibility, I suppose, but I rather hope I'm done with Peeves and his like," she said humorously.

Ariel understood what Brooke meant. "Yeah," she agreed. She liked the aspect of having people to meet, but at the same time, she really didn't like to be overwhelmed either. So there was hopefully a steady balance. She grinned at Brooke. "I'm a firstie too. Studying potioneering. What are you studying?" she asked. Rhian was a dragon trainee, and she wondered if Brooke would be something else, or if she'd be majoring in the same subject as Rhian, or even Ariel. That would be cool. Unless Brooke actually did have an annoying side. In that case, Ariel would never be rid of her, and that would be beyond annoying.
    Back to top Go down
    Brooke Astrid
    Brooke Astrid
    Professors
    Professors

PostSubject: Re: Myths and folklores (OPEN)   Myths and folklores (OPEN) EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 5:11 pm

"We might. But I don't believe in ghost stories much."

With a laugh, Brooke nodded in agreement. "Muggle would find it scary though, which I guess is why we find them so amusing. I mean, we know ghosts from school and all that, so we're just intrigued by stories of 'eerie' happenings," she said lightly, using her fingers to indicate that she didn't really think that the stories were what she described them to be. Glancing back towards the shack, her eyes shone as she drunk in the appearance, smiling to herself. It truly was nice to have something of such mystery as part of their University.

At the girl's next comment, she turned back to her, slightly surprised. "Peeves?" she said, repeating the name she was quite sure she heard Ariel say. Without waiting for confirmation, she continued with, "Oh, are you from Hogwarts, too, then? That's so cool! Which house were you in?" she asked rapidly, excited to have met someone who possibly went to the same school as her. Although Brooke didn't recognize the other witch, Hogwarts was a big place, and it just wasn't possible to have met everyone.

"I'm a firstie too. Studying potioneering. What are you studying?"

"Auror trainee at your service," she answered with a grin. "Or, at least, I will be, come term start." Pausing, she waited a few moments before adding, "I couldn't be a potioneer to save my life; it was my worst subject in school. I barely scraped by! Thank Merlin I had just enough to make it into the course." Giving a slight shrug, she asked, "So, why Potioneering?"
    Back to top Go down
    Ariel Wilde
    Ariel Wilde
    Potioneers In-Training
    Potioneers In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Myths and folklores (OPEN)   Myths and folklores (OPEN) EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 4:38 am

Ariel laughed. She could only imagine how scared muggles would be when walking to this location. Being a pureblood living in a house with its own ghosts, Ariel was pretty used to it all. Of course, her ghosts were pretty gloomy and not at all Hogwarts like. Possibly because the people who had died there, had been captives and tortured by her ancestors. Not something Ariel was proud about... "Yeah, I sort of pity muggles... There seems to be so much pain and fear when it comes to them, because they only see what they see," she said softly, not sure if it made sense to Brooke, but knowing just how much sense it made to her.

Ariel grinned at Brooke's outburst about Hogwarts and Peeves. Which brought her onto another train of thought; sometimes, she did wonder how there had never been a poltergeist born out of the chaos that had controlled her ancestral home for so long. But she was really thankful that this wasn't the case. Peeves had been much more than enough. Of course, being a prankster of fine caliber, Ariel had actually been on Peeves' good side, and he would often parttake in a prank or two. But sometimes he unexpectedly turned around and threw ink at her. Which was not appreciated. "Yes, I went to Hogwarts. I was a Ravenclaw," she said. "How about you?"

"Auror trainee? That's brilliant! You're one of the brave ones, then?" she asked with a twinkling eye. Ariel shrugged. "Well, when it comes to potions, you're either good at it or bad at it. There seems to be no middle ground, really..." Ariel tilted her head a bit to the side. It was always hard to explain that. Her family had asked, her friends had asked, and she really didn't know quite how to answer. "It's hard to explain, really. I don't know. I'm not much of a follower of rules, but when it comes to Potions, it's like an artform to me. And the precision and power in the rules is just undeniable and I love it. It's a passion, I think. The one thing that I'll follow the rules off, possibly," Ariel said with a soft smile, looking back on the house. "Why did you choose Auror training?" she asked, still looking at the house.
    Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Myths and folklores (OPEN)   Myths and folklores (OPEN) Empty

Back to top Go down

Myths and folklores (OPEN)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
    Page 1 of 1